The 100th anniversary of women’s right to vote is Aug. 26, and the Her Vote. Her Voice. delegation is celebrating this momentous achievement with a week of special events and a special way to honor women through a statewide virtual Honor Wall.
“August is National Women’s Suffrage Month, and in South Dakota, we’re celebrating women’s right to vote by sharing the story of the women who led the way for others,” said former first lady and Her Vote. Her Voice. delegation chair Patricia Miller. “Our nonpartisan delegation appointed by Governor Noem, along with a team of 200+ volunteers, has been working diligently for more than a year to pull together several unique events taking place this month.”
Throughout August, special events and announcements are planned to highlight women’s suffrage history. Visit http://www.hervotehervoice.org for details on events and information on the Her Vote. Her Voice. campaign.
August through November – “‘The Right is Ours’: Women Win the Vote” exhibit, Observation Gallery of the Cultural Heritage Center
August through December – “The Bottle and the Ballot: Prohibition and Women’s Suffrage” exhibit, Siouxland Heritage Museum
Aug. 16 – “Women of the Century” Argus Leader publication featuring national and South Dakota women
Aug. 17 – “How the 19th Amendment Changed Lives…Then and Now” lunch and learn event presented by SD State Bar, Women in Law
Aug. 18-26 – Celebration Week
All week long, order special Cheers to 100 Years cupcakes at Oh My Cupcakes in Sioux Falls.
- Cheers to 100 Years: Centennial Celebration Launch to commemorate the ratification of the 19th Amendment
- Center for Western Studies at Augustana University debuts gallery exhibition featuring creations from 19 female artists
Aug. 19 – “How Radical” podcast featuring national author Robert Cooney
- TEDx Sioux Falls – “Was Suffrage Worth the Struggle?”
- Haycamp Summer Pints Patio Party releasing commemorative Her Vote. Her Voice. Key Lime Gosé Beer, Rapid City
- Dakota Territory Brewing Company releasing commemorative Lavender Saison beer, Aberdeen
- “How Radical” podcast with Justice Judith Meierhenry
- “How Radical” podcast with the Honorable Karen Schreier
- Honor a Woman Day
- KELO-TV (CBS) presents “Her Vote: Cheers to 100 Years”
- “How Radical” podcast with Kelly Kirk
- “How Radical” podcast with Angela Kennecke
- SD Suffrage Marker Event: Homestake Opera House, Lead
Aug. 24 – “How Radical” podcast with Ann McKay Thompson
Aug. 25 – Chuck Volin discusses historical ties between women’s suffrage and prohibition via Facebook Live
- Statewide Toast & Forward into Light celebration – light up your local landmarks and toast the 100th anniversary
- “How Radical” podcast with Virginia Driving Hawk Sneve
Aug. 27 – “How Radical” podcast with Stephanie Herseth Sandlin
The Her Vote. Her Voice. delegation was appointed by Governor Kristi Noem to celebrate, commemorate and educate the public about the work of early suffragists and women’s contributions to the history of South Dakota. It is a project of the South Dakota Historical Society Foundation to celebrate the 100th anniversary of women’s right to vote.