Update on Boys Injured in a May Home Explosion

Story by Jody Heemstra, DRG News, Pierre

The mother of two boys boys injured in a home explosion southeast of Fort Pierre last month (May 24, 2023) says one of them is out of the hospital.

On their CaringBridge page, Kelsey Hupp said 5 year old Myles was released from the burn center in St. Paul yesterday (June 8, 2023). She said, “First thing he got accomplished was going swimming, but it wore him out.”

Kelsey says 3 year old Royce was stable all day and tolerated his vent settings being turned down. She says there’s still no word about when he will begin getting skin grafts, but the ophthalmologist said Royce’s eyes are completely healed and will not need a graft.

The blast killed Kelsey and Trevor Hupp’s infant daughter, Harper (6 months), and both of Trevor’s parents, Bill (66) and LaDonna (61). A celebration of life for all three of them was held yesterday at Huron. Harper was laid to rest with LaDonna and Kelsey says, “I am so glad Harper has her to take care of her.” A private family service for Harper will be held at a later date.

Financial donations for the Hupp family can be deposited at any First Dakota National Bank location. Information about various benefits being held for the family can be found on the Hupp Family Support Hub page on Facebook. There’s also a GoFundMe page set up for the family.

More Stories

Today's Top Stories